Ear lobe surgery is a procedure that is carried out to fix ear lobes that have been damaged. This can be due to excessive stretching due to tribal piercings or earlobes that have been split. A flesh tunnel repair surgery is normally carried out within a short time. It is a quick procedure that takes about half an hour for each lobe. It is carried out by the doctor making an incision on the affected area and then stitching the split lobe together. This procedure is carried out under local anesthetic.
Why Should You Get A Flesh Tunnel Repair Surgery
- If your ear lobes have been stretched too much, this can affect your physical appearance. This can make you be quite self conscious and it might affect your self esteem. This is more so, if it is difficult to hide the stretched lobes using your hair, for those people who have short hair.
- Also, if you have relocated from your home country where the tribal piercings are cherished, you might find yourself standing out in a different country due to your stretched ear lobes. This will make you want to get the ear lobe surgery done, so that you can blend in well. You can undertake this operation no matter how long your lobes have been stretched out.
- If your ear lobes have dropped as a result of old age. This will require an ear lobe shortening or ear lobe reconstructive surgery.
- If earrings have torn through your ear lobes. This can happen, for instance if a baby jerks the earrings that the mother is wearing. This can result in the earring tearing through the skin.
- If you have a keloid on your ears. A keloid is a benign tissue that grows on your ears. It is not painful or a health threat but it affects your physical appearance, especially if the keloid is big.
- When your ear lobes have been stretched beyond a certain point, it is highly unlikely that they are going to contract to normal situation again. If you are not sure whether you need the ear lobe surgery or not, it is best to consult with the plastic surgeon first and then they will advise you on the way forward.
Recovery From Ear Lobe Surgery
- It is possible for you to continue wearing earrings even after spit ear lobe repair. It might take a few weeks or even up to 6 months for your lobes to have recovered enough to allow you to resume wearing earrings. Wait until the 4-6 months period is over before piercing your ears again. When getting your ears pierced, make sure not to have the piercing on the scarred tissue, since the scarred area is still weak. You can have the piercing done to the left or the right of the scar
- The specific recovery. The period will also largely depend on the procedure that the doctor used to treat the affected area.
- The scarred area will be quite red after the procedure. However, with time, the scarring will go down and the scar will change color and be more silverfish and be less visible. The surgeon can use laser treatment on the scarred area to help the scars become less visible.
- Applying ice on the treated area once you get home will help to reduce swelling and bruising on the treated area. It is important that you do not sleep on a flat surface on the side of our ear that was treated. You can sleep on a slightly elevated surface to minimize bruising and swelling after the ear lobe surgery.
- You can take a shower the first day after the ear lobe surgical treatment has been done. You can even wash your hair and resume exercising.
- You might experience some mild discomfort during and after the procedure. This is something that can easily be handled with over the counter medications. It is rare for you to experience intense pain.
Find An Ear Lobe Reconstructive Surgeon
Go for a surgeon who has experience in specifically treating this kind of condition. This will give you peace of mind since you are sure that they know what they are doing. Research the different clinics that are around your area and compare their services before selecting one.