Having kids can be quite great for any woman or family. But even though you may enjoy having children, being a mommy can take its effect on your body. Carrying a baby in your tummy is not an easy task, more so, breastfeeding and having to take care of toddlers. This can result in you looking worn out and older than you actually are. It may be hard for you to regain your pre-pregnancy shape. In fact, most women never go back to their original size and shape after they’ve had babies. That is why many women opt to have a mommy makeover.
Mommy plastic surgery involves undergoing various plastic surgery procedures to correct the effect that pregnancy had on the body of a woman. It mainly concentrates of taking care of a sagging abdomen, breasts and the thighs. By combining various surgeries together, women are able to claim back their pre-baby bodies.
What procedures are included in a mommy makeover?
- Breast lift. This can be with or without augmentation. This is done, so as to reposition the breasts and make them regain their former volume and shape.
- Breast reduction– This is done to remove excess tissue and fat from the body. This will reduce back and shoulder pain that is brought about by having a huge breast size.
- Liposuction– This is done around the thighs to get rid of the excess fat. It can also be done around the trunk.
- Tummy tuck is done to trim away the loose skin from the tummy area. The aim is to tighten the skin over the abdominal area and make your tummy to appear flatter.
- Arm lift– This is done to tighten the skin around the upper part of the arms.
- Butt lift– This is done if you have a sagging butt.
- Vaginal rejuvenation – This mommy makeover procedure is done to restore the tightness in the vagina.
How do you decide which procedures are right for you?
You can choose any combination of mommy do over procedures that you want done. Most women typically choose to focus on the breasts and abdomen area. Before making your final decision, it is advisable to talk with your surgeon first, especially if you are uncertain about which options are the most suitable.
Take your time and do not be in a hurry to make a decision. You can even talk over your options with your partner or a friend or relative. You can have all the procedures done at the same time or you can have one procedure at a time. This will depend on what you want. Having all the procedures done at once will save you lots of time and money. However, it carries a higher risk since you are having many procedures done at a go.
If you choose to have the mommy makeover procedures done one at a time, you will recover faster after each plastic surgery makeover , which means that you will only have a short downtime. This is important, since you will most likely have to look after your child or children, so you want to get back into good health as fast as possible.
When should you have these procedures done?
Since the effects of these procedures can be easily undone by subsequent pregnancies, you are better off having them done after you are sure that you are not going to have any more children. Take measures to ensure that you will not get pregnant again. Talk to your gynecologist to put you on a family planning method.
Who should get a mommy makeover?
- If you are struggling to get back into shape after a pregnancy and exercise and dieting do not seem to be bearing any result, you are a good candidate for a mommy makeover.
- If you have stretch marks around your abdominal area and thighs, then a mommy cosmetic surgery will be ideal.
- If your tummy is sagging
- If the shape and size of your breasts have been negatively affected by pregnancy and breastfeeding. For instance, one breast might be bigger than the other one.
- If the size of your breasts have become so much bigger than before and have resulted in you getting back pain.
- If your nipples have drooped and your areolas have stretched
- If you are still young but have already developed signs of aging around your eyes and face
- If you underwent C-section and there are fatty deposits around the areas where your scar is
- If you are in good health and don’t have any medical problems.
- If you have realistic expectations on how your body will look like after the procedures have been done
- If you can afford it
- If it is at least 6 months after you’ve had your last baby or you can wait until at least 3 months after you have finished breastfeeding your baby. However, you can go in for consultation with the doctor at anytime.
- If you are close to your ideal bodyweight
- You will have your youthful bust and body restored after a mommy makeover
- You will look good hence, be more self confident after plastic surgery
- You will look good in a bikini
- Your clothes will fit better
- If you happen to get pregnant after the procedure, all the procedures done will be compromised
- If you gain weight after having the procedures, it will compromise the results
- It can be quite expensive to have multiple procedures done
- You will face the usual surgery risks, such as risk of getting a bacterial infection
What are your options?
There are different techniques and technologies employed when carrying out the operation.
- When having breast enlargement, you can choose to either have silicone or saline implants. You can also choose whether you’d like to have fat grafting or implants.
- The doctor can give you options on where to have the incisions, when it comes to breast enlargement.
- Various technologies are employed when it comes to sucking out the fat from the body. Choose technology that is fast and easy to use.
What end results should you expect?
It is good to have a look at before and after photos. This will give you a god idea of what to expect after your mommy makeover. It will prevent you from getting disappointed with the results.
Your surgeon should also share with you the expected end results before they carry out the cosmetic surgery on you.
It will also be a good idea to interact with people who have had the makeover done on them before and compare their before and after photos.
How to select a surgeon
- Find a doctor who is certified by a recognized board
- There should have been no misconduct complaints against the doctor before. You can find this out by checking out with the medical boards he’s registered with
- He should have the required academic training
- He should have plenty of experience and have carried out plenty of such makeovers in recent months.
- You should rapport well with him
- He should have time to see you and deal with any concerns that you might have. It can be frustrating to deal with doctors who are too busy, since it will be hard to get a hold of them even during an emergency.
What to expect during your initial appointment
Once you have identified the doctor who you would like to perform the mommy makeover on you, organize for an appointment with them. You can make an appointment by calling their office or making a reservation through their website or through email. When going for the cosmetic procedure appointment, be prepared to answer some questions that will help the surgeon assess whether you are a good candidate for the procedure. This includes questions concerning the general condition of your health, any allergies you might have, you use of drugs and any other cosmetic procures you’ve had before.
It is also good to know what you want, so that you can explain to the surgeon what your expectations are and what you are looking for. You should also scrutinize the general condition of the clinic, to see if it is well equipped to handle surgeries or you can ask the doctor on where he plans to do the surgery.
Check out the staff. You only want to work with a doctor whose whole team provide good customer service and treat patients well, since you will also have to deal with the rest of the staff, when the doctor is not around.
Once you have selected a surgeon, what next?
The surgeon will come up with the treatment plan for your mommy makeover. This includes the approach he will take during the breast lift and tummy tuck surgery. He will explain
- The risks associated with the procedure
- The locations where the surgeries will be performed
- The anesthesia options that are available
- What to expect after the surgery
- How to take care of yourself after the surgery
How to prepare for the operation
- Cut down on taking alcohol and smoking for a few weeks before the surgery
- Come up with a good exercise and healthy diet plan. This will help you stay in shape even after the procedure
- You should have achieved or be close to achieving your target weight
- Have a support system in place. You will need it during the recovery period since you won’t be able to do much. For instance, you will need someone to watch your kids and do household chores for you for a few days.
- Organize for someone to pick you up from the hospital after the procedure.
- Prepare your home for instance, by moving heavy objects or highly placed items in place somewhere you can easily access them since it will be hard to do so after the procedure.
What to expect on the day of the operation
- Your doctor will stick to the mommy makeover treatment plan that you both agreed on during the consultation stage.
- You will be sedated and various machines will be attached to your body to keep track of your heart rate and blood pressure during the mommy reconstructive surgery. The doctor will then operate on the given areas and dress up the area with bandages after he finishes.
- You will be wheeled into the recovery area, where you will wait for the anesthesia to wear off. Depending on the extent of the procedure, you might go home the same day or spend a few days in hospital.
Post operation care and recovery
Your doctor will explain to you and your caretaker how to take care of you once you go home. This includes giving you information about
- How to handle any drains
- Complications to be on the lookout for
- When you should go back for a post-operative visit
How long will it take for you to recover?
It will take about 3 weeks to recover and resume your normal day to day activities. It might even be months before your scars are fully healed. Expect the first week to be the worst since you will be sore all over and in pain.
The cost of the mommy makeover will vary based on the doctor you use and the geographical area where you get it done. The cost of the surgery is more expensive in some states and in some countries than in others. Also, the doctors fee will vary based on their level of experience. There are other associated costs, such as the fee you will pay the hospital where the mommy aesthetic surgery procedure is done and the fee of other staff members, such as the anesthetist.
Since this is an elective procedure, most health insurers will not cover it. You will have to pay the fee out of pocket. You also have the option of organizing financing with your surgeon, if they offer their patients this option.
Is it worth it?
This procedure results in a full cosmetic procedure. This inspires confidence and it helps the mums who undergo this procedure to feel more comfortable with their bodies. This gives them the opportunity to enjoy the joys of motherhood without worrying so much about what they had to physically sacrifice with their bodies to have children.
If you are thinking about having a mommy makeover done, weigh your options carefully and come up with what’s best for you.